Old Boma Ltd. and Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. are a Kenya-based group of companies that own and operate safari lodges and camps known as ‘Saruni Basecamp’. They are also a Tour Operator that organizes safaris and tours in Kenya. These are the terms and conditions that are accepted when booking with Old Boma Ltd. and Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. (or their associated or contracted companies as indicated on the invoice).
Rates & Accommodation
All rates are in US$ and per person per night on a sharing basis or per unit per night. Rates are subject to change with notice. Accommodation is subject to availability.
Provisional bookings will be held for a maximum of 14 days. If no update is received within the stipulated time, the provisional booking period will expire and booking automatically released from our system unless a dated extension has been requested for in writing and approved in writing.
Booking & Payment
All reservations can be made by email or phone and are only confirmed after a 20% deposit of the total amount has been paid. The balance payment is due to Old Boma Ltd. or Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. no later than 45 days prior to arrival of the clients in Kenya. The payment is NETT of all bank charges, both on the sending and the receiving (Old Boma Ltd. or Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd.) end. All payments and cheques are payable to Old Boma Ltd. or Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. or their associated or contracted companies as indicated on the invoice.
Group bookings & departures will be requested for in writing and will be approved by Saruni Basecamp in writing, upon receipt of a non-refundable deposit of 20% for the requested rooms and subject to availability. Any rooms without a final rooming list will be considered unconfirmed and released ninety (90) days to date of arrival. Maximum permitted number of single room use per group is two (2) single rooms. Additional singles in the group will be charged at double room rate.
Standard Cancellation Policy
Cancellations are only effective on receipt of written notification. Upon confirmation:
- up to 61 days prior to arrival, 100% of monies received is refunded;
- 60-45 days prior to arrival, 20% of the total cost is retained;
- 44-30 days prior to arrival, 50% of the total cost is retained;
- 29 days-to arrival date, 100% of the total cost is retained;
Monies refunded are minus applicable bank charges.
No refunds are given for ‘no show’, flight cancellation or early departure from the lodge. In the event of force majeure, we retain the right to amend our booking & payment terms and standard cancellation policy at any time and without notice. Our current Booking Procedures, Terms & Conditions which prevail can be accessed on our website or a copy of which can be provided by our Reservations Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Non-Standard Cancellation Policy
Where a non-standard and more stringent cancellation policy is applied by 3rd party properties & services, you will be advised of this before booking confirmation.
Reserve Entry & Conservation Fees
Reserve entry and conservation fees are payable at the time of reservation and are subject to change upon short notice. Any changes will be passed on in full even for pre-paid clients.
Check-in & Check-out
Generally, check-in time is 12:00 PM and we ask that guests check-out by 10:00 AM so we have time to prepare rooms for incoming guests. However, please note, these times may differ from lodge to lodge and you should be advised at the time of booking.
Children of all ages are welcome to our lodges and camps, with rates applicable as per the below:
Children below 5 years sharing tent with adults, stay free of charge.
- 1-2 children aged 5-16 years sharing a Family Unit, with 1-2 adults, a family unit rate applies; ‘per child sharing per night’ rate for any additional child;
- 1-2 children aged 5-16 years sharing a standard room/tent with 1-2 adults, will each be charged 50% of ‘per adult sharing per night’ rate
- 1-3 children aged 5-16 years sharing their own room/tent (not a Family Unit) will each be charged 75% of ‘per adult sharing per night’ rate
- Children 5-16 years sharing a standard room/tent with 1 x adult will be charged 50% of ‘per adult sharing per night’ rate. And the adult pays the ‘single occupancy per night’ room rate
Children age limit for Walking Safaris and for Mobile Camping is 12 years of age.
Children’s dinner can be served earlier on request.
Child conservation fees in the private conservancies applies from 5-16 years of age.
Child entry fees to the Masai Mara National Reserve applies from 09-17 years of age.
Children aged 0-8 years are not required to pay Masai Mara Reserve entrance fees.
All children are the responsibility of their parents or guardians. Child carers can be organized on request for US$D 10 per hour, payable direct. Ayah accommodation is available at the rate of US$80 per day in a guide room – subject to availability.
Passports & Visas
The onus is on the client to ensure that all passports and visas are valid for the countries listed. Old Boma Ltd., Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. or their associated or contracted companies as indicated on the invoice cannot be held liable for any visas not held by the clients.
Tour Leaders & Guides
Complimentary room will be granted to bona-fide Tour Leader on the basis of 1 per every 15 full-paying adults, provided it is pre-booked and confirmed, on half twin-sharing basis, unless prior arrangements are made. Accommodation for Driver Guide hosting guests must be booked together with the guests’ reservations and will be provided in guide room on availability at US$120 per day.
Private Vehicle & Guide
Private vehicle with a guide for exclusive use is available at an additional cost per day. Please contact us for rates. US$350 per day.
Gratuities are welcomed with enthusiasm and gratitude; please speak to our Reservations team at the booking point for advice and procedures.
Travel & Medical Insurance
All guests travelling to Saruni Basecamp properties must have comprehensive travel insurance and medical insurance, in addition to emergency evacuation coverage. Travel and medical insurance are the responsibility of the guests. Saruni Basecamp/Old Boma Ltd., and Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. or their associated or contracted companies, purchase on the guests’ behalf and at an extra cost the temporary membership of a suitable emergency medical evacuation company. Contact our Reservations team for further information.
Agent FAM Trips
Educational visits and site inspections are welcome, preferably during the months of March, April, May, and November. We recommend a maximum stay of 2 nights in each lodge or camp, for Fam visits. For more information on organizing familiarisation trips to Saruni Basecamp properties for media, press and travel industry professionals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Flights & transfers
For internal flights within Kenya, guests are advised to pack in soft bags with a maximum of 15kg per person.
Access and changes to schedules
Old Boma Ltd., Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. or their associated or contracted companies cannot be held responsible for occurrences of any difficulty in, delay or the impossibility of access to the properties relating to road, airstrip, weather or any other conditions beyond the control of the lodge or camp. Although every effort is made to adhere to schedules, the companies reserve the right, and in fact are obliged, to occasionally change routes and lodges or camps on safaris as dictated by changing conditions even when they are beyond the companies’ control, such as seasonal rainfall on bush tracks. The companies subcontract the flying services to independent and reliable airlines and cannot be held liable for any delays due to airlines not running to schedule. Any changes made to the original booking are subject to the conditions and rates, even if caused by the aforesaid conditions. Old Boma Ltd. and Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd Basecamp reserves the right to give one month’s notice for closing any camps and lodges, for renovation, refurbishment etc. without penalty.
Old Boma Ltd., Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. and any associated or contracted companies and their owners, directors, management and employees shall not assume liability for any illness, injury or death to persons visiting the properties nor for any other incident of any nature involving any client(s) while they are on the properties, participating in the Rhino Tracking experience, nor while travelling to or from the properties. Old Boma Ltd. and Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. cannot be held responsible for loss or damage to personal property, however, it may be caused.
All concerns must be brought to the attention of Old Boma Ltd. or Basecamp Masai Mara Ltd. prior to the client’s departure in order to finalise the issues on the ground at the time. Should this not be possible then they are to be followed up in writing no later than 14 days after departure where the Kenyan legal system will be adhered to exclusively.
Booking Procedures, Terms & Conditions for Basecamp Mara Houses
(Valid from 01 June 2023 – 31 May 2024)
By sending a booking request you confirm to have read these booking conditions and agree to be bound thereto.
Old Boma Ltd. only accepts booking requests through in writing/per email. Booking requests through telephone, skype or other form of communication are not accepted.
A booking is made once Old Boma Ltd. has sent a written/email confirmation of the booking to you. Old Boma Ltd. reserves the right to refuse bookings at its sole discretion and all Bookings are subject to full compliance with these terms.
- If Old Boma Ltd. has not received confirmation of the Booking from you by email prior to the expiry date (“Confirmation”), the booking will be released automatically without notification;
- If booked 2 or more months before the date of arrival: provisional Bookings expire 10 days after the Booking was created;
- If booked less than 2 months before the date of arrival: provisional Booking expires 5 days after the Booking was created
Bookings can be put on a waitlist. Provisional Bookings may only be extended subject to there being no waitlisted bookings, such extension is deemed to be a new Booking.
Deposit and Payment
- A non-refundable deposit of 20% of the invoice amount must be received by Old Boma Ltd. within 30 days of the Booking and the remainder must be in one of Old Boma Ltd. bank accounts at least 60 days prior to the date of arrival (in accordance with the payment terms below).
- If a Booking is made within 60 days of the date of arrival, the full invoice amount has to be paid within 5 days of the date of the Booking.
- Notwithstanding the below cancellation policy and any other right it may have, Old Boma Ltd. may release all your Bookings in the event of non-compliance hereof and may charge a penalty interest of 7.5% per annum on any overdue amounts (without becoming liable for damages).
- Any applicable bank charges are for your expense and Old Boma Ltd. is entitled to set off due amounts with any amounts received from, or held on behalf of, you on whatever grounds.
Cancellations or amendments of Bookings must be received by Old Boma Ltd. in writing/by email to be effective.
In the event of cancellation or amendment of a Booking after Confirmation by you, the following policy will apply:
- up to 61 days prior to arrival – the 20% deposit is retained as a booking fee and will not be refunded.
- 60 to 31 days prior to arrival – 50% of the invoice amount will be due and payable
- 30 days or less prior to arrival – 100% of the invoice amount will be due and payable
In the event that a 3rd party supplier imposes a higher cancellation penalty amount, this amount will be added to the total payable penalty amount at any stage of cancellation.
No refunds will be made in case of late arrival or no show.
No amount over and above the deposit amount will be due and payable if, upon reasonable proof, the client is unable to honour his/her booking due to death or hospitalisation of the person for whom, or for whose benefit the Booking was made.
All prices and rates are quoted and invoiced in US$ and all payments must be made in US$. Payment in other currencies will only be accepted by pre-arrangement.
Changes in rates
Under normal circumstances, Old Boma Ltd. wishes to respect agreed rates but reserves the right to change the rates and terms at any time due to circumstances out of its control (such as, but not limited to, fuel prices, exchange rates, camping/concession fees, service levies or tax increases). In case of material changes caused by government bodies and/or other similar bodies that cannot be influenced by Old Boma Ltd. that would lead to severe losses endangering economically sustainable operations, it reserves the right to also change the rates on confirmed and paid Bookings. Any 3rd party rate increases after Confirmation – such as, but not limited to, changes in prices of flights booked – will be fully payable by you.
Mara Bush Houses
Due to the exclusivity of Mara Bush Houses, the following policy is applicable during both low and high season:
- If guests are leaving on the 2pm or 4pm flight, there is an additional fee which consists of park fees, an additional lunch (if applicable), and hire of a private vehicle.
- If guests are leaving on the 2pm or 4pm flight and would like to continue to use the house until time of departure, there is an additional fee which consists of 75% of the applicable rate per night rate, and park fees.
Old Boma Ltd. will do its utmost to assist in minimizing the disruption of itineraries booked
through Old Boma Ltd. in case of cancellations, changes or delays due to any of its 3rd party service providers, however, any costs incurred in relation thereto will be borne directly by you or your client.
High and Peak season: Families (less than 5 pax) with children aged 5-12 years old must pre-book the private vehicle and this is chargeable at normal rates. If the private vehicle is not available, we may not be able to accommodate the booking.
- Low and Green season: Families (less than 5 pax) with children aged 5-12 years will receive a free-of-charge private vehicle but this is subject to availability and individual camps will be contacted by the sales team to ask if this booking can be accommodated.
- Year-round: Families with children aged 5-12 years old will receive a private vehicle free of charge for every 5 pax in the family. This vehicle must be pre-booked and is subject to availability.
Failure of Old Boma Ltd. to enforce any provision of these booking conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such provision or affect Old Boma Ltd.’s right to enforce that or any other provision in the future. If any provision of these booking conditions is rendered void, illegal or unenforceable in any respect under any law, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.